North and South viewing terraces
The two viewing terraces to the North and South of the Piazza are linked by a tree-lined avenue ending in a fountain. From the North viewing terrace you can admire the silent immenseness of the surrounding Conero sea and landscape:wild beaches, craggy rockfaces, white rocks covered with pine forests plunging into deep blue waters. The Conero headland closes the view to the North. The striking features of this suprising landscape are balanced by the view from the South viewing terrace at the opposite end of the avenue. The view from this terrace stretches down the coast, the landscape is vast and smooth, and runs from Numana as far as Recanati sweeping over the distinctive inland villages such as Loreto with its imposing Cathedral. The upper section of the Villa Torre Napoleone can been seen in the foreground.
The small streets of the medieval castle were once filled with shops selling homemade, artisan wares, each with its own sign and coat of arms: shoe makers, armourers and tooth pullers. The community was simple and hardworking. It was ruled by the Cortesi counts who lived in the Castle. The narrow streets have recently been restored to their ancient splendour, recreating the distinctive medieval village atmosphere.
The Sirolo Parks
The Parco della Repubblica
Sirolo is lucky to have a beautiful park situated right in the centre. A public park with lots of greenery, benches and a playground for children. Ideal for jogging and walks, with fabulous views over the sea. IMPORTANT: the scenic path that leads to San Michele beach starts from here.
There is a second park, near to the Town Hall, that has play equipment for children and an obstacle course.
The Church of Saint Nicolò of Bari
The church was built by the Bishop Arnolfo in 1732, under the Papal state of Alessandro IV. It is dedicated to San Nicola of Bari, the bishop of Myra, a city in Asia Minor, famous worldwide for his miracles. It was built using part of the old church from 1230. The church is in neoclassic style.The church is in the shape of the latin cross with pillars and capitals in the Corinthian style. It has an imposing bell tower and a peaked dome.
On the main altar there is a splendid canvas depicting Saint Nicola dressed in bishop’s robes, Saint Eurosia and Saint Rocco. The scene is crowned by the flight from the Holy church of Loreto, carried by angels.
This 16th century masterpiece is by the local painter Giacomo Foschi and represents a “ contra pestem” canvas, as indicated by saint Rocco, a pilgrim who was struck down by evil on the road and was helped only by his faithful dog. The central panel depicts the Saint with the Virgin Mary sitting on the roof of the Holy Church of Loreto.
On the main altar there is a splendid canvas depicting Saint Nicola dressed in bishop’s robes, Saint Eurosia and Saint Rocco. The scene is crowned by the flight from the Holy church of Loreto, carried by angels. This 16th century masterpiece is by the local painter Giacomo Foschi and represents a “contra pestem” canvas, as indicated by saint Rocco, a pilgrim who was struck down by evil on the road and was helped only by his faithful dog. The central panel depicts the Saint with the Virgin Mary sitting on the roof of the Holy Church of Loreto.
There is also an interesting crucifix, of unknown origin, dating from the 1500s, a Maratta canvas and an ancient organ from 1723. On the 9th of May many churches in the celebrate their patron Saint, Saint Nicola. It was on that date in 1087 that the remains of the Patron saint were transported to Bari where the he himself had asked to be burie
The Church of the Holy Rosary
The church of the Holy Rosary is situated to the right of Corso Italia in the direction of Numana. Its façade, that looks onto the corso, is built with “recycled” stones and the visitor will note arches that once belonged to ancient windows and the depiction of the Archangel Michele who was adored by the Longobards, a population of warriors that invaded Italy in the VI century AD.
The church dates from 1613: the style is baroque. It underwent restored between 1985 and 1995 and was decorated with paintings and stuccos. It is adorned with canvases and statues that, given its small size, help to create a spiritually intimate atmosphere.
The remains of Pietro da Treia, the franciscan monk (1214-1304) and protector of farmers, who brought the Bambinello del Perdono to Sirolo (according to legend from a mission in the Holy Land).
The church contains a series of important paintings as well as two works representing the art of the confraternities: A wooden carving of Christ under the main altar. The statue of Christ is carried in procession on Holy Friday by the members of the pia association according to sacred, medieval traditions.
There is also a beautiful, XVI century canvas entitled the “ Madonna della Misericordia” by Pompeo Morganti. The folds of the Madonna’s protective cloak protect,to one side the brothers of the confraternity, dressed in white robes, and the priests whilst the opposite side is reserved for women. The Madonna is accompanied by Saint Agostino and by Saint Nicola di Bari, patron saint of seafarers. Mount Conero, the Adriatic sea, Sirolo and the port of Numana lie in the background.
The Cortesi Theatre
The theatre was opened in 1875 with a show including prose and music. The local white stone of the Conero, used for this building, is in fitting with the rest of the architecture in the small centre. The façade reflects the architecture of public buildings in general during the 1800s. The inside of the theatre is decorated with allegorical figures, pillars and parapets providing the whole interior with an end of the century feel.
Alle Cave Theatre
This recent site is situated in “ I Pini” in Sirolo and is open all year. It is the only archeological site in the Marches where you can visit a section of a Piceno necropolis.
The Archeological site Numana-Sirolo
This recent site is situated in “I Pini” in Sirolo and is open all year. It is the only archeological site in the Marches where you can visit a section of a Piceno necropolis.
The site (60x50m) has its own museum with numerous explanation panels that show the different phases of the dig and the precious remains found inside the tombs. Three tombs have been found including the “tomb of the princess of Sirolo” dating back to the VI century B.C. It was discovered in 1989 and is one of the biggest, group burial grounds of nobility to be found in the necropolis of ancient Numana. The rich funereal artefacts found inside this large group tomb clearly belonged to a lady who was part of the social and economical elite of the ancient piceno town. The find includes jewels and everyday items such as weapons, vases and jugs, together with 2 carriages, a horse drawn carriage and a chariot. This tomb, belonging to the queen of Sirolo, is an extraordinary source of knowledge and information regarding the history of Numana in protostoric times.